Saturday 16 June 2012

Playing Dress Up

With my misplaced confidence that I can now sew (anything square) I decided to embark on my first dress. It looks like a dress and yes it actually wears well (as proven by my children's stuffed lion) but it must have been the easiest dress to sew in the world. I came across this gorgeous Pillowcase Dress at Asthetic Nest and it had easy enough instructions so I knew I had to try it.

I went to the haberdashery and selected a fabric with a lovely print - very busy and bold - for the sole purpose of hiding my mistakes. My thinking was it's a dress made from 2 pieces of square ish fabric so should be easy right? Well for the average person it would have been right but dumbass me forgot to take into consideration that dresses have armholes and armholes have curves so not as easy as I thought.

The core dress itself was easy peasy but let me tell you ... I butchered the armhole. The finish product will only ever be worn by the lion. As much as I want to think I can sew for another human being I know I am a while away making anything for another fellow living breathing person ... if anything just to avoid that awkward moment when I present something to someone only for them to say enthusiastically "thank you, that's gorgeous, you're a natural" when really they want to say "what the hell is that?"

So here's my pillowcase dress for Larry the Lion .. yes Larry, I have a house of boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment